Thursday, September 18, 2014

Charlotte's Web Chapters 1 and 2

So, as I stated yesterday, my dear friend is working on "Charlotte's Web" in her class. She is new to third grade, so I thought I would try to help by reading along with her and helping her to maybe create some activities for her. For the first few days I am playing catch-up because they have already started. I thought I would write out some notes on here along with some questions and words to ponder for you and your students as you read.
 I enjoyed getting to read this evening, my kids were playing outside and I sat in the swing. The funny thing was my three year brought be a post-it pad that he brought from the barn without me even asking. I laughed,but it was so timely. So here we go..

Chapter One: (Pgs. 1-7)
Vocabulary Words: Runt, Injustice, Cream
Questions I thought to ask while reading:
  1. Who is Mr. Arable and why is Fern so upset with him?
  2. What is the name that Fern gave the pig and why did she choose that name?
  3. Did Avery like the pig? Why or why not?
 Summary:
 B: Fern is eating breakfast and father heads out to the barn with an ax to tend to the new litter.
M: Fern pleads with Mr. Arable to not kill the pig.
E: Mr. Arable brings Fern the pig and she names him Wilbur.

Something to Write about:
 Imagine you were Fern, Write about your morning when you saw dad heading to the barn to thin the litter. What would you say? What would you ask father to do?


Chapter 2: (pgs. 8-12)
Vocabulary: Vanished
Questions I thought to ask while reading:
1. How did Fern feel about the pig Wilbur? How did you infer this?
2. When did Wilbur begin to live outside? Where did he live? Describe it..
3. Describe what Wilbur did to keep warm?
4. What did being a spring pig mean?
5. Was Wilbur and Fern best friends? Why would you say that?
6. What happened when Wilbur turned 5 weeks old?

Summary
B: Fern took care of Wilbur thru every minute of the day.
M: At five weeks, Mr. Arable said he had to be sold.
E: Fern went to live at the Zukerman's (Fern's Aunt and Uncle). He was sold for six dollars.

Something to Write About:
Make a map describing fern.

Please stay tuned. I am planning on making a packet for this and will have some freebies up for grabs.
Have a great night!

3 comments:

  1. Get the latest and good quality clothing items Jackets,Coats and Vests Movies, TV Series, Gaming, Casual,Faux Leather and Leather materials available. Gotham Knights Red Hood Vest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. This is the simplest explanation I can understand given the tons of Explanation here. coldplay jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your site is good Actually, i have seen your post and That was very informative and very entertaining for me. Ezreal Jacket

    ReplyDelete